How to File W-2 Forms

E-filing W-2 Forms

  1. Click on the E-file Center button.
    • The program will then check for any available updates.
    • If updates are found they will need to be applied before continuing with the e-file process.
  2. Choose the Form W-2 option.
  3. Click Next.
  4. Choose the service(s).
    • For a description of a service, place the cursor on the service and a pop-up window will display with the service details.
  5. Click Next.
  6. If the service chosen contains a State filing option you will be prompted to choose the Employment Type.
  7. Click Next.
  8. Choose the State(s) that the W-2 form(s) will be filed to.
  9. Click Next.
  10. Choose the Payer(s) to be filed.
  11. To select specific returns to file click on the Select Returns button after selecting the Payer. Check the box next to Recipient TIN to be filed and click OK.
  12. Click Next.
  13. Choose the Payer(s) to be filed to the State(s).
    • Click on the State tab to switch between the selected States.
  14. Click Next.
  15. The E-file Center - Reconciliations screen will display if the selected State(s) require a reconciliation form.
    • Select the Payer in the list and click on the Complete Reconciliation button to complete the state reconciliation form.
  16. The program will validate the data entered on the forms. If any errors are found they are displayed in an Error Detail. These errors will need to be resolved before the forms can be e-filed.
  17. Check the I agree to the Terms & Conditions box.
  18. Click Next.
  19. Enter applicable payment information.
  20. Click Send.

Paper Filing W-2 Forms

W-2 forms can be printed on blank or pre-printed paper and mailed to the Social Security Administration. The W-2 forms will need to be filed with a W-3 transmittal form that summarizes the W-2 forms that are being sent at the time. The W-3 can be printed on blank or pre-printed paper as well. Current year pre-printed forms can be purchased at or through Greatland sales at 800-968-1099. Prior year forms are not available through Greatland, but can be obtained from the IRS by calling 1-800-829-FORM or 1-800-829-3676.

W-2 and W-3 forms will be sent to:

  • Social Security Administration
    Data Operations Center
    Wilkes-Barre, PA 18769-0001
Was this article helpful?
1 out of 2 found this helpful