The IRS currently offers two types of PINs that can be used to electronically file 941 form; Taxpayer PIN and Reporting Agent PIN.
The taxpayer PIN is a 10-digit number assigned by the IRS that replaces your signature on the electronically filed form. Taxpayer PINs are commonly used by an individual business that needs to electronically file their own 941 form. The Taxpayer PIN is unique to the EIN of the business.
The Reporting Agent PIN is a 5-digit number assigned by the IRS in conjunction with a 6-digit EFIN. Reporting Agent PINs are commonly used by Accountant or CPAs that will need to file 941 forms for many different companies. This PIN allows the CPA or Accountant to use the same PIN for multiple EINs.
How to apply for a Taxpayer PIN
To apply for a 10-digit taxpayer PIN, please follow these steps:
- Login to Yearli.
- Click on Form Data Entry.
- Select 2021 from the Tax year drop down list.
- Click on the PIN App link.
- Enter the necessary company information and click the Apply button on the right.
Note: The IRS will send the PIN to the IRS Authorized Signer via U.S. Mail within 7-10 days, after the PIN Registration Process is completed. Allow 45 days for the PIN Registration Process to complete. The IRS cannot activate the PIN until the signed Statement of Receipt has been returned, acknowledging that the PIN was received by the signer of the PIN Registration. The Statement of Receipt should be returned within 10 days.
How to apply for a Reporting Agent PIN
To apply to become a Reporting Agent and obtain a 5-digit PIN and 6-digit EFIN, please follow these steps:
- If you do not have a 6-digit EFIN (electronic filing identification number), fill out the online IRS application. If you already have a 6-digit EFIN, contact the IRS at 1-866-255-0654 to update the application to include 941 electronic filing.
- Complete an 8655 form for each EIN you will be filing the 941 form for. Send this to the IRS via fax at 855-214-7523 or by mail to Internal Revenue Service, Accounts Management Service Center, MS 6748 RAF Team, 1973 North Rulon White Blvd, Ogden, UT 84404.
- The IRS will then process the EFIN application (if necessary) and the 8655's. It can take the IRS up to 45 days to process the EFIN application and 10-30 days for the 8655 forms.
- Once the process at the IRS is complete, they will send the Agent a listing of the approved businesses, EINs, and name controls they have been approved for. The Agent will also receive their Reporting Agent PIN and EFIN.