View the rejection reason
- Click on E-file History.
- Click on View Detail to the right of the confirmation number.
- Click on View Rejection Reason.
- Click OK.
“The Reporting Agent PIN in the Return Header must match the data in the e-File database.”
The notice indicates that the reporting agent PIN used to the file the 941 form does not match the PIN the IRS has on file. Please verify the PIN being used with the IRS before re-submitting the form(s).
“If 'OnlineFilerPIN' is present in the Return Header, it must match the e-File Database for the EIN it is filed for.”
This notice indicates that the Employer PIN does not match the PIN the IRS has on record. Please verify the PIN being used with the IRS before re-submitting the form(s).
“Taxpayer TIN in the Return Header must not be the same as the TIN of a previously accepted electronic return for the return type and quarter ending period indicated in the tax return.”
This rejection notice indicates that rejected filing was a duplicate of a previously accepted 941 form. This will only occur if the payer information on both forms is identical. If a second form was submitted in an attempt to correct previously filed information that was accepted, a 941-X form will need to be filed instead to correct the error.
“The return type indicated in the return header must match the return type established with the IRS for the EIN.”
This rejection notice indicates that the form the IRS received is not the form the IRS was expecting for the payer. Please contact the IRS to verify the form type the payer should be filing.
“For US Addresses, the first five digits of 'ZipCd' of the Filer's address in the Return Header must be within the valid ranges of zip codes for the corresponding 'StateAbbreviationCd'. See Publication 4164.”
This rejection notice indicates the ZIP code on the 941 form does not match with the state entered on the form. Please verify the state information and ZIP code on the form before re-submitting.
“The Name Control or Check Digit (KOLD) does not match the IRS records for the EIN in the Return Header.”
This rejection notice indicates that the name control filed on the 941 form (in this case, KOLD) does not match the IRS records for that payer. Please verify the name control with the IRS before re-submitting the 941 form.
1095 Form Rejections
1. Select the E-File History tab to begin the rejection process. (See Below).
2. Select View Rejection Reason above the red Rejection message. (See Below).
3. The Rejection Reason window will display which will allow the user to select the Fix or Dismiss button. To Fix the rejection, choose Fix to correct the errors and resubmit for the payer. (See Below).
4. Select the Edit button to the right of the Not E-File Ready status to view the form and make the change and select Save. (See Below).
5. Once the change has been made, select the Back button on the left side of the screen.
6. To resubmit the form, select the checkbox to the left of the Payer name and select the Start E-File button on the right side of the screen.
State rejections vary greatly from state to state. If you received a rejection notice from a state agency, please contact the state directly to discuss the rejection.