The import is missing required information, or the column headings on the import file do not match what the program is expecting.
Verify all required information is present
- Open the import file you are attempting to import in Excel.
- Verify that each row has payer, recipient, and form data entered. Each row will need to contain a value in each of the required columns indicated in red.
Clearing hidden data and spaces
- Open the import file.
- Scroll down to the last row that contains data.
- Select 20 blank rows after the last row of data. For example, if your last row of data is in row 100, select rows 101 through 120.
- Press Delete on the keyboard.
- Save the file and attempt to import again.
Verify the column headings
- Download a new copy of the import template. To do this, see the Where can I download the template for W-2, 1099, or 1095 importing? article.
- Remove the sample information from the new template.
- Copy and paste the information (excluding row 1) from the existing import file into the new template.
- Save the new template file and attempt to import.