- You can get an automatic 30-day extension of time to file by completing Form 8809.
- For form 1099-NEC, no automatic extension is available.
- A signature or explanation may be required for the extension.
- File the 8809 and extension request as soon as it is known an extension is needed. The 8809 must be filed by the due date of the return (January 31).
- Under certain hardship conditions, you may apply for an additional 30-day extension.
- To download a copy of IRS Form 8809, please visit the IRS Website.