How do I file for an extension on my W-2 forms?

W-2 Extension

Effective with Tax Year 2016 there is no automatic filing extension given to employers.  To request a W-2 filing extension:

  • You can get an automatic 30-day extension of time to file by completing Form 8809.
    • For form W-2, no automatic extension is available.
  • A signature or explanation may be required for the extension.
  • File the 8809 and extension request as soon as it is known an extension is needed.  The 8809 must be filed by the due date of the return (January 31).
  • Under certain hardship conditions, you may apply for an additional 30-day extension.
  • To download a copy of IRS Form 8809, please visit the IRS Website.






Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful