Printing a 1099 form
- Click on the Print Forms button.
- Select a payer.
- Choose the 1099 form type from the Select return window.
- Choose the print type (blank or pre-printed).
Note: Copy A for 1099 forms is only available utilizing the pre-printed print type.
- Choose the copy to be printed.
- Click Print or Preview. To print from the preview screen click the print icon in the upper left corner.
Note: To print 1099 forms for specific recipients, click on the Select Recipients tab prior to clicking on print or preview. To select multiple recipients press and hold the Shift or Ctrl key and click in the gray grid area on the left of the recipient TIN for each recipient that should be printed. All recipients can be selected by checking the All Recipients that have this return option.
If printing 1099s to be paper filed with the IRS it will be required to print the forms on the pre-printed red Copy A form. The IRS also requires that a 1096 accompany the printed forms. See the How do I print a 1096? article for information on how to generate and print the 1096 form.
Copy A is not available for 1099 forms that have been corrected and e-filed through the E-file Center. You do not need to send a copy of the form to the IRS; the E-file Center takes care of that for you.
Copy A—Sent to the IRS with accompanied 1096 (pre-printed only)
Copy B—Distributed to employee
Copy C—Payer copy
Copy 1—Sent to state tax department
Copy 2—Distributed to employee
Tabs on the Print 1099 Return window:
- Select return: Select a return type from the list.
- Select copy: Click in the Select Copy list. Use your arrow keys or the scroll bar to move up and down through the list.
- Select print type: Click a radio button to select blank form or pre-printed form.
- The Pre-printed form option must be chosen in order to print or preview Copy A.
- Select print options: If you would like printed 1099s to include payer information, click the Print payer information checkbox. Payer information is automatically printed when Blank Form is selected as the print type.
- Horizontal: Positive numbers move data to the right, negative numbers move data to the left.
- Vertical: Positive numbers move data up, negative numbers move data down.
- Click the Printer Setup button to change the current printer. Note that the current printer is displayed directly to the right of the Printer Setup button.
- Adjust text alignment: Change the number of units displayed in the Horizontal and Vertical boxes to regulate alignment. 1 unit is equal to 1/1000 of an inch. (Option is not available for blank forms.)
- Mask Recipient SSN (in the format XXX-XX-1234) & Mask Recipient EIN (in the format XX-XXX1234): Click the Truncate/Mask Recipient TIN checkbox to print only the last four digits of SSN or EIN on Recipient copies.
- Masking of Recipient SSN or EIN is available for 1099 Recipient copies, generally Copy B and Copy 2 (also Copy C for 1099-R), following IRS guidelines. (SSN and EIN masking is not available on Form W-2G).
- Use the Recipient List tab to select specific recipients to be printed. The default is to print for All recipients.
- To select recipients, click to highlight the recipients you would like to print. Click, hold, and drag to select multiple recipients. Use press and hold the Shift key or Ctrl key and click to select adjacent or non-adjacent recipients in the list.
- To change the recipient display order, click the column heading to change the sort order. The recipients can be sorted by TIN, Name or Misc Search.
- Use the Payer Groups tab to print 1099s for a group of payers. Simply highlight a Payer Group in the list. For steps on creating a Payer Group see the How do I add or edit a payer group? article.