Obtaining a PIN
To file the 941 as a Taxpayer, you must meet certain criteria. Taxpayers:
- File for themselves.
- File for only one EIN.
- Register and obtain a 10-digit PIN.
- Send a PIN application to obtain the PIN.
Taxpayers must register for a Personal Identification Number (PIN) that replaces their signature on the paper form. They use the PIN application form to register for this 10-digit PIN. The employer name under which they filed for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) must be used. PINs are valid for a specific employee in a specific company, and can take up to 45 days to be processed by the IRS.
Note: A separate PIN is required for each person who will "sign" the 940, 941, or 944 form. If at any time in the future a new person will be "signing" the 940, 941, or 944 form for a particular EIN, a new PIN will be required for the new signature. To update a PIN, fax or mail a letter on company letterhead to the Cincinnati e-help Desk informing them of the change. The fax number is 877-477-0569. An authorized person must sign this letter. The letter should include the EIN of the business, business name and address, name and title of the person signing the letter, and the name, title, and phone number of the previous authorized signer. The IRS will mail a letter to confirm the change and provide the new PIN. The mailing address is:
Internal Revenue Service
Mail Stop 2701
Cincinnati, OH 45999
- Click the Payer List button.
- Highlight the desired payer by clicking the name once.
- Click the Add Form button.
- Make sure Federal is selected in the Federal/State drop down menu.
- Choose 940/941/944 PIN Application from the Form Name drop down menu.
- Fill in all required fields (in bold) on the 940/941/944 PIN Application form.
- Click OK to save and close the form.
Note: There is no fee for submitting PIN Applications through the E-file Center.
- Click on the E-file Center button.
- Choose Form 940/941/944 PIN Registration (Apply for PIN).
- Click Next.
- Choose the payer.
- Click Next.
- Place a checkmark in the I agree to the terms of the Electronic Filing Authorization checkbox.
- Click Send.
Creating and e-filing Form 941
Once the PIN has been obtained from the IRS, you can begin submitting 940, 941, and 944 forms electronically. To do this:
- Click on the Payer List button.
- Choose the payer.
- Click the Add Form button above the Form List.
- From the Federal/State drop down menu, choose Federal.
- Choose 941/Sch B/Sch D from the Form Name drop down box.
- Select the appropriate quarter.
- Click OK.
- A form preparation screen will appear. On this screen verify the information or make any required manual entries.
- Near the bottom of the form, in the Part 5 section, check the box "File electronically as Taxpayer". This will unlock the information boxes that need to be filled out for e-filing.
- Enter the information and use the Balance Due Payment area if needed.
- Click Save.
- Click OK to close the form.
- The 941 can now be transmitted using the Send Returns option in the E-file Center menu.
Note: The Name Control field on the Manage Payer screen must be completed to e-file the 941. For more information about the Name Control see the What is the Name Control and where do I find it? article.