Importing foreign address information
- Download and open a copy of the import template, or open an existing import file. For steps on how to download the template, see the Where can I download the template for W-2, 1099, or 1095 importing? article.
- Locate the employer or employee address column.*
- Leave the following fields blank:
- Employee or employer City, State, and Zip*
- Locate the foreign address indicator column. *
- Enter a value of "True", without the quotes to indicate that the employer or employee has a foreign address.
- Locate the foreign state name column and enter the state's name.*
- Locate the foreign postal code column and enter the postal code.*
- Locate the country code column and enter the country code. A list of country codes can be found on the IRS website, or on the What country code do I use when importing foreign address information? article.*
- After entering the applicable information, save the import file and attempt to import.
*The column headings for each form type are as follows:
|Step 2||Employer Address 1 (Box 9), Employer Address (Box 9)||Employee Address 1 (Box 3), Employee Address 2 (Box 3)|
|Step 3||Employer City (Box 11), Employer State (Box 12), Employer Zip (Box 13)||Employee City (Box 4), Employee State (Box 5), Employee Zip (Box 6)|
|Step 4||Employer Foreign Address Indicator||Foreign Address Indicator|
|Step 6||Foreign State Name (Box 12)||Foreign State Name (Box 5)|
|Step 7||Foreign Postal Code (Box 13)||Foreign Postal Code (Box 6)|
|Step 8||Country Code (Box 13)||Country Code (Box 6)|
|Step 2||Issuer Address 1 (Box 19), Issuer Address 2 (Box 19)||Sponsoring Employer Address 1 (Box 12), Sponsoring Employer Address 2 (Box 12)||Responsible Individual Address 1 (Box 4), Responsible Individual Address 2 (Box 4)|
|Step 3||Issuer City (Box 20), Issuer State (Box 21), Issuer Zip (Box 22)||Sponsoring Employer City (Box 13), Sponsoring Employer State (Box 14), Sponsoring Employer Zip (Box 15)||Responsible Individual City (Box 5), Responsible Individual State (Box 6), Responsible Individual (Box 7)|
|Step 4||Issuer Foreign Address Indicator||Sponsoring Employer Foreign Address Indicator||Foreign Address Indicator|
|Step 6||Foreign State Name (Box 21)||Sponsoring Employer Foreign State Name (Box 14)||Foreign State Name (Box 6)|
|Step 7||Foreign Postal Code (Box 22)||Sponsoring Employer Foreign Postal Code (Box 15)||Foreign Postal Code (Box 7)|
|Step 8||Country Code (Box 22)||Sponsoring Employer Country Code (Box 15)||Country Code (Box 7)|